ere is something I have never seen before.
Merrill Lynch Salutes the Year of the Moon.
In 1969 the investment firm Merrill Lynch commissioned this map of the moon. (Why? I haven’t a clue.)
Look closely and you will find
- Kennedy, Johnson and Nixon riding a American Bald Eagle over the moon.
- Diana/Artemis – The goddess of the moon.
- Apollo XI and XII mission patches.
- A Saturn V rocket launching from the earth.
- A Russian Onion Domed rocket.
- Monsters swimming in the lunar seas.
- A 19th century flying machine, the Wright Flyer, the Spirit of St. Louis, and a Curtis JN-4 Jenny
- A Merrill Lynch ticker tape machine.
- Two Lovers under a full moon
- And the Cow Jumping over the Moon. (I couldn’t find the dish and the spoon.)
Anyway, I thought it was neat.
This map can be purchased here at David Rumsey Historical Map Collection.